Sunday, May 16, 2010

Online Dating-Yes or No??!!

Yesterday I decided to look at some online dating websites, just to see what is out there. I have heard some wonderful stories about them. My sister met her husband on match.com, and my divorced brother has been in an exclusive relationship for more than a year, with someone he met online (that is after he dated & slept with many women before her...we were very concerned about his 'habits").

I tried online dating this past January..........It lasted 6 days before I took my profile down. I signed up with plentyoffish.com (It is free, so if you are unsure, try this first). I filled out the profile sheet which I found extremely difficult to write about myself when trying to get a date.....BUT I did it and came up with enough stuff to tell. Immediately I started to get messages sent to my "dating inbox." And this is what I found out......I was judging people on their picture, or their incorrect use of grammar (which I do all the time....but this was BAD). I don't think of myself as a judgmental person, BUT when it comes to online dating, that is exactly what it is. It gave me the opportunity to say "NAH" before I had met the person, based solely on their looks or how they wrote about themselves. To me, looks are not nearly as important as the person inside. My husband (a blind date) was not particularly good looking, BUT he was funny and had a great heart. If I had seen his profile online, I probably wouldn't have responded or said 'no thank you." I believe that if I had met one of these guys in a store or a restaurant, and had a conversation with them, I would have gone out on a date, if asked. So, I have to think, Am I missing out on meeting a great guy because he is not good looking???

On the other hand, the profiles being posted by men could be complete bullshit! A guy friend pointed this out to me and sadly, he is right! I found the profile of someone I know and he is a complete jerk, but if you read his profile, you would think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread!!!

Back to my plentyoffish experience. I ended up communicating with 2 guys, one I made a date with, the other, after we communicated quite a bit through e-mail, asked for my number and I completely freaked out.......I told him I don't give out my number (I don't know why I would think that I wouldn't have to give out my number if I am on an online dating website...LOL). I asked him to send me his number and I would call him from a blocked number. He did that. In any case, I chickened out before the date and the phone call.....I e-mailed both of them and just told them I wasn't ready.....and apologized.


Wouldn't it be nice to just find someone and hit if off right from the beginning?

I may be too hopeful! And on this, I hope I am wrong!!

No comments:

Post a Comment