Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Online Dating~Part 2

OK...it has been a year since my disaster dating situation, something I should have been over in about a day, but I guess I like to take my time....LOL!(though it really isn't funny at all).

As I stated in an earlier post, I tried online dating back in January. OK, so I only left my profile up for 6 days, and actually never went on a date....but I tried! Well, a couple of weeks ago, I reposted my profile on the same dating website and left it up for a little more than 2 weeks(I have since taken it down). I am not really sure what to think of online dating. Do I think it is a great way to meet single people? Yes. There are good single men out there who are looking for a good woman, just like there are good women looking for a good man, so online dating is a good way to put these people together. Sounds easy....but it is not.

The way I do the whole online dating thing is I post my profile and see who responds. I told my one girlfriend that I was going to go out with anyone who asked. She thought I was nuts! In the two weeks, more than 50 guys sent me emails....40 of them, didn't interest me right from the first hello. One of my biggest pet peeves is a guy that can't write basic English or spell. I can understand a typo or grammatical error (I do it all the time), but I think they should proof read their profile before posting it. I am amazed at how many of these guys there are. In any case, I decided that the idea of going out with everyone was not a good one. There were several who I was interested in and started email relationships with. And so far, there have been 2 whom I have actually gone out with. Joe was the first date. He caught my attention from his first email with something funny, even sarcastic that he said. We emailed for a week or so and I finally felt comfortable enough to give him my phone number. We spoke on the phone and his voice didn't seem to match the picture of him which was posted. He had this high, squeaky voice....but I overlooked that, he still seemed like a nice guy. We made plans for a Saturday night "meeting." I knew from the start that the plan was just to meet for a drink, and Saturday night was the only time he was available so I agreed to it. (Normally, I would only do coffee or lunch on a weekday). I have to say, I was kind of excited to meet him. His picture sure was cute, and he definitely had a good personality. We decided to meet in the parking lot of this bar/restaurant so neither of us would have to wait inside. I got there first. He pulls his car up next to mine and gets out. OMG, he is really short!!! On his profile, he said he was 5'7" (I am 5'2", so that works for me)...but he gets out and he is my height, maybe even shorter. AND doesn't really look like his profile picture~maybe 5-10 years ago he looked like that, but not now. So I think, "whatever" I will go talk with him. We stayed about an hour and a half and just talked....there was no weirdness, or awkwardness, or lulls in conversation and he seemed perfectly nice...BUT there was no chemistry (at least on my end). Three days after the date, he starts emailing me like crazy. I answered some of his emails but just kind of let it die out. I haven't heard from him since.

Date number two was with a guy named Jeff. After emailing with him for a bit, I decided to give him my number also. We arranged a lunch date at a restaurant in my town. Jeff is a better fit for me because he has kids (4 of them) whereas Joe has never been married or had kids. I met with him and we went into the restaurant. AGAIN, this guy looks nothing like his profile picture (maybe 10 years prior). We had a nice conversation and he seemed perfectly nice, but again, no chemistry on my part. Jeff has been sending me text messages, and I answer some, but he may be getting the hint I am not really interested.

All the other guys I was emailing with, I just kind of stopped!

I was married for 11 years, and it has been such a long time since I have dated, I am not really sure what I am doing. For the life of me, I can't remember really how things started with any prior boyfriend. I guess the important thing is I know what I DON'T want, but not really sure what it is that I want. I hope it comes "when I least expect it" after all, that is how I met my husband. One thing I have noticed about dating this time around is that I certainly don't feel like I am in a rush to meet someone. Maybe because I am OK with life by myself, I have a child and don't want more....I can't really pinpoint it, but it is a good feeling...not putting pressure on myself. I would LOVE to meet someone great, but if I don't, that's OK too.

No comments:

Post a Comment