Saturday, July 3, 2010

Alcoholism-It's a Killer!

Last week, I found out through a former neighbor of mine from Georgia, that another neighbor had died. This lady was 37 years old and was found dead in her bed by her 8 year old son. Apparently, she and her husband were in the process of divorcing and a lot of the reason they were divorcing was because she had become a very heavy drinker. When I lived there, I didn't know her to be a drinker, but I either wasn't paying attention to it or she developed this drinking problem after I left. Drinking may not have caused her to die, and an autopsy is being conducted, but she had no known health issues....so I guess they will find out soon if it was a factor or not. And another young child is left without a mom possibly because of alcohol!

Living with an alcoholic is a disaster for everyone involved. This I know to be true!!! It sucked for Charlie, because he just couldn't get through the day without a drink, it sucked for me, because I felt like I lost the man I married....everything changed, from his personality, to his not being able to support us, to people not wanting to be around, not just him, but myself and K. too BECAUSE of him. It is a horrible diesease and one I can't relate to. Sadly, I don't think Charlie saw the changes in himself. He would blame me for everything, saying that I was the one who changed. Well, there is no doubt about that...I changed because my whole situation had changed because of his drinking and I was trying to deal with it. Bottom Line...ALCOHOLISM SUCKS!

I often wonder what it would have been like if he never picked up the bottle again. I feel bad for me and more so for K. that that is the route he decided to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment